Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Proverbs 2 "Answering His Knock"



 Bang! Bang! Bang! There was a heavy demanding pounding on the door. Goodness! What's the urgency?! I hustled to the door only to be greeted by a fast talking vacuum salesman saying he has a product that will clean my carpet like no other & would I like a sample? I, still wondering what the emergency was, said, "okay??" He handed me the sample, hustled to his van, got out a sweeper & fellow partner in crime & marched back to  the door. It was then I finally realized they wanted into my home. To me that's invasion of privacy & just plain dangerous, so rather rudely I sent them on their way with, "So now you want into my house? Yeah, not happening! Good day."

Just like these salesmen wanted desperately into my house to market their product, God wants desperately into our hearts, lives & homes, yet He doesn't push His way in. He doesn't bang down the door, yet knocks with a gentle urgency. He doesn't speak loud or fast, yet gets our attention with a gentle deliberate tone.

   "...turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to  understanding,
     and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding,
     and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure,
     then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find
     the knowledge of God." Pr.2:2-5

Note the italics. We must,'turn our ears' - listen. 'Call out' and 'cry aloud' - ask. 'Look for it' - search, then He'll give wisdom, knowledge and understanding. We will be able to

    "...understand what is right and just and fair - every good path.
      For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant
      to your soul. Discretion will protect you and understanding will
      guard you." Pr.2:9-11

But, we must first want to hear from Him. We must want to keep cultivating, keep learning, and keep returning to Him. Let's not rudely send Him on His way like He's a salesperson, by dismissing His word & ignoring His knock.

     "He holds victory in store for the upright,
        He is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,
        for He guards the course of the just
        and protects the way of His faithful ones." Pr.2:7-8

 Join me in prayer...

Lord, as we go throughout our day, nudge us gently to want to hear from You. Give us a desire to hear from You, a longing to dwell in Your presence.  If we seem to be ignoring Your knock, please, bang down the door! Get our attention! We get so wrapped up in ourselves that sometimes we need an all out invasion! Don't let us become callus to Your call.
Father, we long for the victory You hold for us. We thank you for Your shield for our walk and Your protection throughout our days. Amen.

3 comments :

  1. A good reminder to me to earnestly seek God. God's wisdom is His gift to us but He gives it only to those who earnestly seek it. It takes effort to find it and use it. May I not grow weary and lazy in my walk with God!! May I continue to want to hear from Him and not grow comfortable where I am in my spiritual walk of life! Thanks for doing this!! I'm looking forward to the rest of this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to start the day! God bless! I'm also looking forward to the rest of your month of Proverbs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply.. touched. Thank you so much.. the illustration just coined the truth very well..

    ReplyDelete