Thanksgiving! I love Thanksgiving and all the hustle & bustle that follows in preperation for Christmas! Such a beautiful start to celebrating Christ's birth! Usually we reflect and thank Him for things we have such as home, family, food, etc. This Thanksgiving I've been prompted to thank Him for Him. Thank Him for His qualities. Thank Him for His very person! So, while this is not an exhaustive list, here's a few of my favorites!
MY GOD IS:
1. FORGIVING. Psalm 103:12 "as far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us." That ends in a period. It's a statement. A fact. I'd like for it to end in an exclamation mark because that fact is so exciting to me! To Him its fact, so to me its fact & I love that.
2. LOVING. 1 John 3:1 "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called the children of God! And that is what we are!" John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son..." Now say it with your name- "For God so loved________, that He gave His one and only Son..."
3. FAMILY. Read 1 John 3:1 again! Ephesians 1:5 "He predestined us to be adopted as His sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will". He finds pleasure in adopting me into His family!!!
4. MERCIFUL. Ephesians 2:4-5 "But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ".
5. GRACIOUS & COMPASSIONATE. Isaiah 30:18 "the Lord longs to be gracious to you; He rises to show you compassion." Notice how He isn't just gracious to you; He longs to be gracious to you. He doesn't just show compassion; He rises to do so. He makes an extra effort!
6. KIND. Ephesians 2:7 "the incomparable riches of His grace, expressed in His kindness to us in Christ Jesus."
7. PROMISES. Acts 2:38-39 "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off - for all whom the Lord our God will call." Deuteronomy 26: 18-19 "And the Lord has declared this day that you are his people, His treasured possesion as He promised...He has declared that...you will be a people holy to the Lord your God, as He promised."
8. FAITHFUL. Hebrews 10:23 "Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He Who promised is faithful." 1 Thess. 5:24 "The One Who calls you is faithful and He will do it." 1John 1:9 "...He is faithful and just..." Psalm 91:4 "His faithfulness will be your sheild..."
9. PROTECTING. Psalm 32:7 "You are my hiding place; You will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance."
10. ATTENTIVE. This one is very dear to me! 1 John 5:14 "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us." Not only does He hear us, He loves to hear from us! The way I love to hear from family & friends this Thanksgiving & Christmas season is how He loves to hear from me every single moment! I find that so beautiful!!
Like I mentioned, this is not an exhaustive list of Gods qualities. There are many more! Each one means something different & special to us personally! Please share your favorite(s) in the comments below!